[In an attempt to keep my few readers abreast of what I am listening to, The Monthly Mix Series is a monthly post featuring music that found its way into my ears over the course of the past month.]
So, this one's coming a bit late, but alas it's here. The artwork this month is from LCD Soundsystem's set at Coachella.
This month's mix has a bit of everything. Here's a brief rundown:
I saw Killer of Sheep at the Nuart a few weeks back and the movie used "This Bitter Earth" so beautifully, I had no choice but to throw it in. Daniel Johnston was on my mind a lot as I finally watched "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" and Friday Night Lights used the Bright Eyes cover of "Devil Town" which is great, even for a Conor Oberst song. I really love the new National, the new Feist, and the Sea Wolf EP. The new Maria Taylor is good if you like that Aimee Mann / female singer-songwriter thing. Upon watching Regina Spektor's set at Coachella, I forgot how much I loved "That Time", so had to throw that on there. The rest is a sampling of things seen and songs that came up on shuffle. Of course, I had to end with LCD Soundsystem. I fear I am becoming obsessed.
1. From the Rivers to the Oceans - Bill Callahan
2. This Bitter Earch - Dinah Washington
3. Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa - Vampire Weekend
4. Devil Town - Bright Eyes
5. I Feel It All - Feist
6. What we Had - Handsome Furs
7. Cobrastyle (Featuring Mad Cobra) - Teddybears
8. Start a War - The National
9. Replay - Maria Taylor
10. Jenny Don't Be Hasty - Paolo Nutini
11. Southern Manners - The Watson Twins
12. That Time - Regina Spektor
13. Freak Scene - Dinosaur Jr.
14. These Days - St. Vincent
15. Living Life - Daniel Johnston
16. Sea Monuments - Sea Wolf
17. All My Friends - LCD Soundsystem